Stainless steel culinary don’t have mineral leaching issues & entirely health safe. On the other hand, the Teflon non-stick pots & pans release chemicals in foods for two cases; like-
If you cook over 380 F
if their coating starts peeling off.
But, apart from the Teflon culinary, the ceramic porcelain-coated & hard-anodized cookware is 100% non-toxic, safe for cooking. And at the same time these pots & pans also expensive.
There are so many pros and cons are associated with these three culinary. We need detailed analysis to figure out which is better for us; aluminum or stainless or non-stick cookware. And, it’s important for us.
In this modern society, people are cautious about energy saving and adopting healthy food consumption in their day-to-day lifestyle.
So, in this chapter, I will discuss with you all the aspects & different circumstances where you can find out which cookware is best for what types of cooking. Let’s compare the stainless steel .vs non-stick .vs aluminum pots and pans.
All About Aluminum Pots And Pans:
This the most common use cookware in Asian countries. The non-stick cookware’s base metals are constructing with this aluminum.
Aluminum metal is extracted from bauxite earth clay rock. Their thermal conductivity is super high. Because of that, cookware heated up from the bottom to top uniformly & we enjoy the seamless cooking feature.
Types Of Aluminum Cookware:
There are two types of aluminum cookware in the market; non oxidized plain aluminum and hard anodized aluminum pots and pans. The hard-anodized aluminum is 30% more stronger as compared to the stainless steels, very durable and completely non-coated nonstick cookware.
Moreover, it’s manufacturing procedure is bit more complicated and costly. That’s why, these cookware are bit more pricy as compared to other two types of cookware.
If you like please read more about- “how safe is aluminum pots & pans?“.
The Upside And Downside Of Aluminum Cookware:
- The price of these pots and pans are very low as compared to other cookware.
- Safe under the Dishwasher cleaning.
- Very uniform heat distribution facility. That’s why it’s doesn’t create hot spot on the pots and pans. Hard anodized aluminum are the perfect choice for high heat cooking.
- If you are using hard anodized aluminum then is much harder than the aluminum or stainless steel cookware.
- Hard anodized aluminum are the one of best alternative non-stick cookware, that recommend by professional chefs.
- Pure aluminum cookware leaches aluminum mineral on foods and, if has body resistant power. If you are using it for long time it will create several health issues (read more from atsdr & NCBC).
- Plain Aluminum cookware are softer as compared to the stainless steels and hard anodized aluminum. Because of that, metallic utensils create several scratches on it.
- Aluminum also react of foods like olive, tomatoes and release oxidized chemical on foods.
All About Stainless Steel Cookware:
This is the perfect durable cookware no rusting issues, completely friendly with induction oven. It also recommended for not only the house kitchen; but, also for the restaurant using purposes.
The thermal conductivity and cookware designing is the only issue, that can either make or break the stainless steel cookware.
These cookwares comes with different gauges like 18/10 ( 18% chromium and 8% nickel). 304 and 316 stainless steel cookware’s are the high-end products, that contain a very small amount of molybdenum 2% , 10%-14% chromium and, 10%-14% nickel.
Moreover, the 316 stainless steel cookware is marine environment friendly; and it also known as surgical stainless steel.
The Advantages and Disadvantages:
What Are The Advantage Of Stainless Steel Cookwares?
- Perfect cookware for high heat cooking, boiling the water or glasses of milk. It’s totally glossy and shines.
- It’s considered among the most durable cookware category. So, no fear of scratches on the inside
- Completely oven safe at very high-temperature 550F.
- Handwashing with any pad and soap is completely possible, but it also safe for dishwasher cleaning.
- Stainless steel pots and pans not easily react with foods even at a high temperature; and, also not releasing the mineral into the foods.
- Most of the cases no harmful or any coating apply on the pans and pots; that’s why don’t need to face any toxin fumes and flaking issues.
- Absolutely friendly with any stoves; gas, induction, ceramic oven friendly.
What Are The Disadvantage Of Stainless Steel Cookwares?
- Poor heat distribution due to low thermal conductivity; and, it is the main drawback we have ever noticed when it comes to comparing the stainless steel vs aluminum cookware.
- The foods burn very easily and create hotpot on the pans and pots.
- The price of stainless steel cookware very high if we compare with aluminum vs nonstick cookware’s.
What Is The Best Stainless Steel Cookware?
All clad is the king when it comes to make a choice for stainless steel cookware.
All About Non-Stick Cookware:
There is no doubt on the nonstick cookware’s help us to cook healthy foods at very low temperature. There are three main kinds of cookware that we are recommending for home and commercial kitchen uses; these are granite stone coated cookware, ceramic coated nonstick cookware, and, hard anodized aluminum cookware.
These top three cookware has lots of pros and cons over each other. Moreover, the manufacturing cost of stone cookware is more higher as compare to the rest of two cookware’s.
However, teflon coated pots and pans are the another one kind of non-stick cookware; the price is more cheaper than the other three kinds of cookware’s we have discussed. In addition, teflon cookware are not safe for our health, as compare with rest of three pots and pans.
The inner core material of any nonstick pans or pots are either ammonium or stainless steel.
The Pros And Cons
The Pros Of Non-Stick Cookware:
- You can easily reveal the foods form the pans even if you are baking or frying without oils.
- Just worm soapy water and soft pads are enough for easy cleaning; however, good quality nonstick cookware are completely dishwasher safe.
- Attractive looking perfect for any party gift.
- No toxin chemical releasing issues for stone coated, ceramic coated and, hard anodized non-stick cookware’s.
- If you are using these pots and pans, it save the heat energy; it’s perfect for low and medium heat recipe preparation.
- Granite stone coated and premium ceramic cookware’s (Green Pan produces the best quality ceramic cookware) are friendly with metallic cooking utensils.
The Cons Of Non-Stick Cookware:
- Every nonstick cookware are not friendly with metallic cooking utensils; especially the teflon and hard anodized non-stick cookware.
- Cheap nonstick pots and pans, are non durable, scratches easily appeared on the cookware.
- Teflon coated cheap quality cookware’s are not dishwasher safe.
- Non friendly for high heat cooking. Because, it damages the coating and might release toxin fumes in foods. Moreover sometimes you need to deal with the flaking issues.
Aluminum Vs Stainless Steel Cookware Which One Is Best For Pro Chefs?
Professional chefs are use both of these cookware for commercial purposes. Hard anodized cookware are the best option when it comes to at low temperature cooking and stainless steel is best for deep frying. But, any pro chefs doesn’t recommends you to use pure aluminum cookware for daily purposes.
It’s absolutely fine if are go with three layer stainless steel or nonstick cookware.
I hope in this chapter we have cleared all doubts, and, provides you best comparison of aluminum vs stainless steel cookware vs nonstick cookware. I hope this article will help to select perfect cookware for healthy life.